Today’s post is for my author and reader followers. I’d like to help Robert S. Wilson, an author of superb dystopian vampire fiction in an activity I’m curious about if I’m honest. Everyone’s heard of crowd-sourcing by now, but what do you know of it? Have you looked into it? Would you try it?
Lately, I admit I have considered it. I lost my income and have bills looming for editors, blog maintenance and [insert all the other expenses of being a self-publisher]. Not dissimilar to my author readers, no doubt. You have the same expenses, right? Well, that’s one reason why I want to share this post with you. The other reason is for my reading followers. Robert is a cool guy who writes great vampire fiction (read on for freebies) and well, it’s all about paying it forward, right?
So, please help Robert by checking out all about his Indiegogo crowdsourcing campaign, below. This is one great vamp series (read all about it, including the link to my own review of book one), and one great and generous author. There are fab incentives to donate and free stuff!
Take it away, Robert…
Spread ‘Empire of Blood: A Dystopian Vampire Series’ #indiegogo
Hi, I’m Robert S. Wilson, author of the Empire of Blood series (SHINING IN CRIMSON, FADING IN DARKNESS and the forthcoming RISING FROM ASHES). I’m a Bram Stoker Award-nominated editor and author of dark speculative fiction ranging from science fiction and dark fantasy to noir and horror.
When I first started to get feedback from readers about SHINING IN CRIMSON, the most common response I got went something like this, “Where is book two? When will it be out? What kind of monster ARE YOU? HOW CAN YOU DO THIS TO ME?” Well, not so much those last two although I did have a couple of (albeit understandable) nasty and negative complaints after a while. And at the time I started writing Fading In Darkness, I had every intention of releasing the book within the next year. And then life went and changed on me. See, back then I was only a writer. But then I got into editing. I started with co-editing the AIDS charity book, Horror for Good: A Charitable Anthology. And then from there my life, and attention, became split in two directions. Writing and editing.
Shortly after that, along with two partners, I launched Nightscape Press and became its Editor in Chief. And ever since I’ve been very, very busy. But these things alone do not pay the bills yet, sadly, and I long ago took up freelance editing and various other author services in order to get by. Between both Nightscape Press and freelance work, I end up with very little time for writing. And because of which, it took nearly two years to finish FADING IN DARKNESS. And that was completely due to the fact that I had too many commitments to handle at the same time.
So, I know as more people read FADING IN DARKNESS, they are going to want to read the next book and I’d like to make that happen much faster this time. I have two chapters written, but I find myself constantly dragged away from my progress by other commitments. So my plan with this fundraiser at its core is to help fund the process of finishing the book in three short months. Two months to write it and one for a professional editor to help me make it shine. This time period would start as soon as the fundraiser is over. So, if all works out, the book will be ready to release as early as the beginning of January 2014!
This money will also cover the cost of editing, cover art, promotion, paying for the perks I’m offering to contributors, my coke habit (just kidding!), etc. This book is in my head and so very ready to come out into the world. And regardless of this campaign, the book will see the light of day. But I don’t think I’m the only one who doesn’t want to wait another two friggin’ years for that to happen!
I think I’ve put together some great perks for long time fans as well as people who have yet to read even the first Empire of Blood book:
- Ebook editions of RISING FROM ASHES and/or SHINING IN CRIMSON (book one) and FADING IN DARKNESS (book two) for a low price!
- Signed paperback and limited hardcover editions of each individual book in the series as well as the same in omnibus editions.
- Interactive perks: Name a vampire or a Foederati soldier in RISING FROM ASHES. Use your own name or somebody elses, or make one up. Your call!
- Rare pieces of memorabilia: Signed and personalized manuscripts of SHINING IN CRIMSON, an early draft of my unpublished novella THE NESTING PLACE, and more.
- All contributors of any amount will be listed in the book’s acknowledgements page (unless, of course, you’re embarrassed to be seen with me!).
- All contributors who choose a physical perk will receive a signed Empire of Blood bookmark as well.
Contributors to this campaign can sleep with ease at night knowing they’ve helped solve global problems like world hunger, war, and climate change (okay, maybe actually none of that really…):
While this fundraiser is going I will be finishing up my current freelance obligations and getting what little writing I can do. If funded I will balance a very strict writing schedule with my work at Nightscape Press and finish an editor-ready draft of RISING FROM ASHES within two months of the end of this fundraiser in order to have the book edited, formatted, and ready in at least ebook format for contributors by early January. Then the process of paperback and hardcover production, ordering, signing and personalizing will take place with the goal of having all copies shipped out by the end of March at the very latest. As far as the public release goes, I have yet to decide how I will handle that. As I said earlier, a portion of these funds will go to a promotion and I would like to have at least a month after the book is ready to promote it before releasing it publicly.
Here’s my prior track record as an author, editor, and publisher:
Over the past several years as a writer, I have written two novels (Empire of Blood books one and two), two novellas (THE QUIET and EXIT REALITY) and over a dozen short stories for various markets and as Kindle downloads.
As an editor I have co-edited two anthologies (the Bram Stoker Award-nominated HORROR FOR GOOD: A CHARITABLE ANTHOLOGY which contributes to amfAR, the Foundation for AIDS Research and is available now, and NIGHTSCAPES VOLUME 1 which will be available soon) and solely edited one anthology (BLOOD TYPE: AN ANTHOLOGY OF VAMPIRE SF ON THE CUTTING EDGE which will contribute to The Cystic Fibrosis Trust and is due to be released on October 30th this year).
And as a publisher I have edited and released five novels (A REQUIEM FOR DEAD FLIES by Peter N. Dudar, the Bram Stoker Award-winning LIFE RAGE by L.L. Soares, DUNGEON BRAIN by Bram Stoker Award-winning author Benjamin Kane Ethridge, THE EVOLUTIONIST by Rena Mason, and STEALING NIGHT by Peter Giglio), three novellas (BUTTERFLY POTION by Nightmare Award-winning author Trent Zelazny, SUNFALL MANOR by Peter Giglio, and THE ANGEL OF SHADWELL by Jonathan Templar, and proofread and published one anthology (WORLD’S COLLIDER: A SHARED-WORLD ANTHOLOGY edited by Richard Salter).
For those who might be interested, here is a breakdown of how the funds donated to this campaign will be used:
- $1,000 more or less will go to my Promotion and Production fund to cover the cost of hiring a professional editor, cover artwork, some other minor production costs, and to promote the book.
- $2,000 more or less will go to paying for the production and shipping of the physical perks offered in this campaign as well as counting the cut that Indiegogo will take out. If this ends up costing more than 2k, the extra will come from my Promotion and Production fund, if it ends up costing less, more will go toward promotion.
- $2,000 will go toward two months of living expenses to cover my bills and any possible materials I need during the two month stretch of finishing the final draft of the book.
Other Ways You Can Help
For those of you who cannot contribute but would like to help out:
- You can tell your friends by word of mouth, sharing on Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, Goodreads, Livejournal, your blog, smoke writing, morse code, yelling through a bullhorn in a moving car, or live song and dance performances!
- Don’t forget to make great use of the Indiegogo share tools!
- You could probably pray for my immortal soul… no never mind, too late…
Best of luck, Robert. Right, now for some… FREE STUFF!
- Click THIS LINK, then click on Gallery and you can listen to 4 videos: episodes 1 – 4 of the Shining In Crimson audio serial teaser of Shining in Crimson (if you like audiobooks, you can download this mp3 from Robert’s website).
- At the bottom of the Gallery page, you’ll find a free mobi copy of the Shining in Crimson (bk 1)
- A free mobi copy of What Happens in Vegas (Empire of Blood Short Story),
- An mp3 of the Shining in Crimson theme music (the main music track in both the main Indiegogo video Robert made and the Shining In Crimson audio serial)!
I mean come on, is that not a hugely generous offer (on top of all those incentives, listed above).
Here are a few more links for Roberts work:
- Books by Robert S. Wilson on Amazon
- Books by Robert S. Wilson on B & N
- Books by Robert S. Wilson in the iBooks Store
- Books by Robert S. Wilson on Kobo.com
- Books by Robert S. Wilson on Smashwords
- Escape From Saturn on Amazon
- Escape From Saturn on Bandcamp
Also Find This Campaign On:
Help make it happen for Robert Wilson! Contribute to Empire of Blood: A Dystopian Vampire Series.
Please share, support, donate and let me know in the comments section: Would you crowdsource your creative project/self-publishing project? Have you already done so? What happened? I’m all ears. 🙂